His Very Words, Part 3 - Infallible, Inexhaustible Word – How I know the Bible is His Very Words
His Very Words, Part 3
Infallible, Inexhaustible Word – How I know the Bible is His Very Words
Print the PDF
The image for this post is a photograph I took at the location in Israel where the Dead Sea scrolls were found.
Years ago, I heard a teacher say, “We cannot break God’s commandments; we can only break ourselves against them.” He created us to live in His ways. Our greatest joy is living in His heart. His Word expresses His heart. When we are confused by a difficult passage, we can just lift our questions up to God until He answers in His time. Until then, we can count on His Word to be trustworthy. (In my writing His Very Words, Part 4, I will address difficult passages.)
God’s Word is a plumbline. GotQuestions.org gives a great definition for a plumbline:
“A plumbline is a cord with a weight attached to one end. When the cord is held so the weight can dangle freely, an exact vertical can be determined. Painters and carpenters use plumblines to keep their work straight. A plumbline applies the law of gravity to find right angles, to indicate the most direct route from top to bottom, and to keep things plumb. A plumb line doesn’t change with the whims of the carpenter. It remains true, and all work must line up with it or risk being crooked.”
What a perfect description of the Word of God! We do not pick and choose what we believe. Rather, we bring ourselves in line with His words for our own benefit and joy.
As I quoted in His Very Words, Part 1, Kevin Geoffrey of Perfect Word Ministries said it this way,
“I exhort you to set aside any preconceived ideas about what you expect or want the Scriptures to say, and instead read the Word with brand new eyes. Let the Scripture reform you and renew you, teaching you what it truly means to be a disciple of Messiah, and showing you your inherent, eternal value just the way God made you.”
So, how do I know the Bible is the inspired, infallible Very Word of God?
These are my answers. I would love to hear yours!
- The original manuscripts are consistent. The examples are too numerous to record here. The thousands of early New Testament manuscripts are consistent with one another. Also, many scrolls were discovered in the caves of Qumran in Israel. A complete scroll of Isaiah was found in 1947 and was dated 200 BCE. Researchers say it was most likely copied directly from the original scroll of Isaiah from 700 BCE because of its accuracy. The scroll of Isaiah contains many of the most profound prophecies of Yeshua in the Bible.
- The Bible declares it. Peter writes, “But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.” (2 Peter 1:20-21)
- His Spirit confirms it within me. When I received Yeshua the Messiah, He gave me the gift of the Holy Spirit, and I was born anew. His Spirit immediately filled my mind with His thoughts. As I began to read Scripture, there I saw the beautiful words He had placed in my mind. I will share an example of this:
The first day I believed, I was living in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. My landlord was quite bitter about his disability. I encouraged him that “though his outward man has some problems, God cared about the inside and wanted to renew his heart.” Then, I found 2 Corinthians 4:16 – “Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer person is decaying, yet our inner person is being renewed day by day.” I remember being so excited as I continued to find His truth in the Bible that mirrored what He was teaching me. Since the enemy, our Accuser, never stops trying to deceive us, I learned that His Word was the bottom line and would trump any thought or opinion that opposed it.
- His Word feeds my soul and gives me life.
- The connections span hundreds of years and could only have been orchestrated by the Sovereign Lord of the universe. Good translations allow us to see these connections that tie the entire Bible into a beautiful whole! To see a good example, you may read The Master Marksmen at ShaleFragments.com.
- The testimony of believers confirms it – They have an insatiable hunger to read His Word.
- I see new gems in the Bible each day even over 40 years of reading it. Just a few days ago, I found a gem tucked away in the book of Joshua I had never seen before. Here it is:
Yahweh brought the Israelites out of the wilderness, across the Jordan River, and into a camp at a place they named Gilgal. Yahweh pulled the high waters of harvest time away in a heap so they could cross the river on dry ground just as they had crossed the Red Sea before they entered the wilderness.
Joshua 4:19 says, “Now the people came up from the Jordan on the tenth of the first month and camped at Gilgal on the eastern edge of Jericho.” Wow! He brought them over just in the nick of time for them to take the Passover lamb into their homes according to the commandment to do so on the tenth of Nisan! Joshua 5:10 says, “While the sons of Israel camped at Gilgal, they observed the Passover on the evening of the fourteenth day.”
These verses tell us two things – Yahweh’s timing is perfect, and the Passover celebration is very important to Him! – Just before the Israelites were delivered from slavery in Egypt, Yahweh said through Moses, “This month shall be the beginning of months for you; it is to be the first month of the year to you.” And He said, “Now this day will be a memorial to you, and you shall celebrate it as a feast to the LORD; throughout your generations you are to celebrate it as a permanent ordinance.” (see Exodus 12) This yearly Feast would forever remind them of their deliverance through Yahweh, and He would provide the opportunity for them to observe it even as He was leading them into this new land!
As health issues appear, tragedy strikes, or “sorrows like sea billows roll,” in joy and in pain, we cling to God through Yeshua in His Word. He IS Love, Truth, Hope, and Wholeness. He is our Comfort in the storm. Be still and know that He is God.
Shale Fragments is a division of Flower Girl Greetings, LLC. ©2020, All Rights Reserved.
Welcome to Shale Fragments, a collection of writings and art for individual and group use!
Teaching God’s truth and the beauty of His Word is my greatest delight! My art card company, Flower Girl Greetings, was launched in 2012 with this purpose. In April 2020, ShaleFragments.com became the gathering place for the writings.
As I have studied the rich meanings of the original Greek and Hebrew languages of the Bible, I continue to see beautiful progressions and connections that compel me to organize and convey their life-changing beauty!
Please click on each category to access a list of contents or scroll through the posts. To receive Shale Fragments updates, please subscribe here.